Thursday, May 21, 2009

39 weeks.

I have to say that this entire week has been interesting. There's been a bunch of drama & negativity going on at home, but I'm getting over that. In addition, my pregnancy discomforts increase every single day, so I couldn't help feeling completely stressed & distraught these past couple of days. But today definitely changes everything.

I saw my OBGYN @ 1pm today. First she checked me so see how much I've dilated. I'm 1-2cm (she said almost 2cm) dilated!!! That's good progress. He's also very low now, and I definitely feel that. So after that, I was telling her about the symptoms I've been having this past week. First of all, my mucus plug came out last week so I've definitely been feeling a lot more pressure "down there." Then my feet & hands have gotten really swollen (soooooooo swollen!), and I told her that they even hurt. She was like, "Really..." Then I explained to her that I've also been getting headaches this week, but they go away during the day..they only come in the morning and before I go to bed. It's been really difficult to sleep; I can no longer TRY to sleep on my right side because it just hurts, and both my leg and arm on my right side go numb (not to mention my nerve being pinched on my right leg so it's just always cramped). Along with that, I've dramatically gained a lot of weight (for the past 3 weeks) out of no where, and none of my eating habits have changed since I was first pregnant, so that was shocking too. I mean, I knew the baby's been putting on more weight now that he's getting bigger, but I've gained A LOT A LOT. She told me what I was afraid I'd hear: that I'm experiencing symptoms of preeclampsia.

You can read about preeclampsia here.

My blood pressure was high today, and it's never been high throughout my pregnancy :( I've been reading about preeclampsia all week before I even saw my doctor. I told her that when I first realized my symptoms, I really wanted to call her to see if something was really wrong with me or not, but I felt like I didn't wanna waste her time because I felt like I was overreacting. Turns out I really wasn't! I was really worried about the pain I've been been experiencing, but I'm glad that I saw my doctor sooner than later. She said, "There's really no other cure for it besides to deliver...so we're going to have to call the hospital to see their availability." She had me place a urine sample to check for protein (preeclampsia is hypertension during pregnancy associated with protein in the urine). I also had to get some blood drawn to check for other things. Lastly, she called Little Company of Mary & I have my induction appointment set at 6pm tomorrow. That means my baby boy is coming in the next couple days! I have my finger on Saturday :) So by tomorrow afternoon, I'll have every single thing that I need all prepared in my bags so we'll be ready to be admitted to the hospital. I told Mark, "Aw, you won't be able to experience the REAL way people experience labor..like by freaking out at home & rushing to the hospital! We actually have an APPOINTMENT." lol. I'm just really hoping everything will turn out just as it should tomorrow night, and that I have a safe delivery whenever he decides to finally pop out. I know the waiting and all the pain is seriously gonna test my patience, but it will all be worth it :) I'm prepared. BRING IT ON BABY BOY!

Aw man, I'm really gonna miss being pregnant. I've been wanting to film a video before I deliver. We'll see if I have the time or energy to do so. I wanted to show you my yucky feet and hands, but it's really embarrassing lol. But really, it's been such a crazy roller coaster, these past 9 months (although I wasn't aware of the first 2). I'm gonna miss feeling his kicks. I'm gonna miss taking pictures of my belly every week. I'm gonna miss feeling so excited to see the ultrasounds & hearing his heartbeat. Just remembering how excited I was planning the baby showers & picking out the invitations...also picking out what crib I wanted, the bedding, setting up our room. Oh man, how time flies. Sigh. But now that all this pain has kicked in, I'm relieved this will all be over soon. It's been such an experience :) I'm really grateful to have had the support of my family, Mark's family, and all our good friends throughout this entire time and ongoing for the future. Dylan is my biggest blessing, and I'm glad to have been able to share every happy and sad moment of my pregnancy through my blogs with you guys.

Please pray for us & wish us lots of luck! We are so excited, but at the same time I'm very scared & nervous. I can't wait to introduce Dylan to the world; I will keep you all posted (Facebook & Twitter statuses will definitely be updated hahaha). Well technically my doctor says I'm on bed rest so I have to get myself to the shower & back to resting asap. Goodnight!!

1 comment:

julieanndee said...

awww! thats crazy! how exciting! good luck with everything! lucky you wont have to feeel those awful contractions! maybe you'll feel it but not for long! LUCKY!